Class of 1949 gathers for reunion
The Class of 1949 was the 20th and last class to graduate from the former South Whitehall High School.
The following year, the school district’s name was changed to Parkland.
This class had 84 graduates. Fifty-three have died, leaving 31 members still living.
Of that number, five have moved out of the area.
On Oct. 16, graduates of the class of 1949 gathered for a reunion at Morgan’s Restaurant, South Whitehall.
Class officers were originally elected in their freshman year.
Henry Shankweiler was elected president and Robert Warmkessel was elected treasurer.
After graduation, they continued to serve in that capacity for all the reunions.
As the class secretary moved from the area after graduation, Lucille Laudenslager has served in that capacity for the reunions.
When they graduated, the class decided to have reunions every five years.
The first took place at the former Village Inn, Tilghman Street, South Whitehall.
The 25th year class reunion took place at Pocono Manor Inn, as that was where their senior class trip was.
On the occasion of the 50th year reunion, the class met in the afternoon and toured the new Parkland High School, which was still under construction.
A cherry blossom tree was planted on the grounds of the high school in honor of the class and in the evening, there was a dinner dance at Twin Lakes Country Club, now Iron Lakes Country Club, North Whitehall.
At that reunion, the class voted to have annual luncheons which they have done for the last 20 years with the exception of 1998.