HVAC unit failure leads to N. Lehigh school evacuation
A failure in an HVAC unit on the roof caused Northern Lehigh High School to be evacuated Monday morning.
The incident occurred around 10 a.m. April 16, according to Superintendent Matthew Link, who said students and staff exited the building, and a short time later, entered the middle school auditorium.
“The cause of the fire alarm was due to a failure in an HVAC unit on the roof that sent smoke and an odor into sections of the building,” Link said. “The evacuation went as planned, and at no time was anyone in danger.”
Link said Neffs, Slatington and Walnutport fire departments, along with Slatington police and Northern Valley Ambulance Corps, responded to the alarm.
“The first-responders and our internal response team determined the cause of the smoke, isolated it and then began to exhaust the building,” he said. “After the odor was mitigated and air quality checks were conducted throughout the building, the fire departments notified administration the students and staff could return to the building at approximately noon.”
Link said a modified schedule for classes and lunch was implemented for the remainder of the day.
“I would like to thank all of the first responders for their immediate response and coordinated efforts,” he said.