Girls harriers take fifth at invitational
With three runners missing from the varsity line up, the Northwestern girls cross country team had to readjust its goals heading into the annual early-season DeSales Invitational.
Most years the Lady Tigers are looking to win it. This year, with two seniors taking SATs the day of the race and another senior resting an injury, the goal was a top-five finish Saturday in Center Valley.
And that’s just where they came in. Led by Molly Tarvin (14th place) and Madeline Consuelos (17th), Northwestern took fifth place at DeSales and saw both of its top runners earn medals, which went to the top 25 boys and girls.
“We still got fifth as a team and we’ll bring home a trophy,” said Northwestern head coach Chris Stitzel. “If we can go top five here missing three girls, that’s a good race. That was our goal.
“When we get healthy we should make a run at states again. They have us ranked in the top three right now.”
The Tigers’ state ranking comes from the PennTrack web site. After four years of going undefeated in dual meets and earning league titles, the team finally earned some preseason recognition this season.
Northwestern finished fourth as a team at last year’s state championships, but two runners from last year’s top five graduated.
The Tigers seem to have no trouble making up for those losses. They opened the season with the overall team title at the Moravian Invitational and followed it with a strong showing at DeSales.
“We’re missing our two seniors from last year, who were in our top five,” said Tarvin. “We regrouped and dealt with the loss and used it to our advantage and now we’re all really close.”
Behind Tarvin and Consuelos were teammates Hannah Herzon (36th), Rachel Mikols (41st) and Brooke Devers (41st) were in the Tigers’ top five at DeSales. Elizabeth Fornauf (84th) and Paige Stitzel (94th) round out the varsity line up.
“I’m happy with today” said Chris Stitzel. “I said ‘no pressure today. Just go out and run hard.’ We got some good competition and a good run on the league championship course. That way when we come back in October you know the course.”
The Tigers’ Phillip Castrine led the boys team to a 17th-place finish. He was followed by teammates Anthony Vennera (86th), Matthew Grim (103rd), Isaiah Jones (106th), Dalton Keba (110th), Kavan Fitzpatrick (111th) and Robert Leiser (113th).
The Tigers also fared well in some of the DeSales subvarsity races.
The boys team took 12th place in the junior varsity race as Rueben Kemmerer led the way in 55th place.
The Tigers’ Alyssa Mack finishedin second place in the girls freshmen race.
The Northwestern boys middle school team took second place with Mattherw Renner (5th) and Joseph Pleban (6th) finishing in the top 10. The Tiger middle school girls placed third as Kristen Brown led the way with a ninth-place finish.
DeSales Invtiational Results
1. Parkland 67, 2. Owen J. Roberts 74, 3. Holy Ghost Pres 104, 4. William Tennent 114, 5. Twin Valley 159, 17. Northwestern Lehigh 45.
1. Liam Conway (Owen J. Roberts) 16:24.14, 2. Hailemichael Geiger (Parkland) 16:35.18, 3. Sean Rahill (William Tennent), 4. Dan Kyvelos (Parkland) 16:40, 5. Callahan Lennon (Holy Ghost Prep), 6. Josh Faber (Twin Valley), 7. Patrick Donahue (Holy Ghost Pres), 8. Abe Van Helmond (Owen J. Roberts), 9. Hudson Delisle (Quakertown), 10. Noah Falasco (Upper Merion)
57. Phillip Castrine 18:29, 86. Anthony Vennera 19:04, 103. Matthew Grim 19:32, 106. Isaiah Jones 19:40, 110. Dalton Keba 20:03, 111. Kavan Fitzpatrick 20:03, 113. Robert Leiser 20:07.
1. Downingtown East 61, 2. Owen J. Roberts 90, 3. Twin Valley 108, 4. Pennridge 135, 5. Northwestern 157.
1. Allana Powletter (Stroudsburg) 19:46.28, 2. Maddy VanBlunk (Downingtown East), 3. Sophie Doman (Palisades), 4. Lexi VanBlunk (Downingtown East), 5. Meghan Bernotas (Owen J. Roberts), 7. Sydney DelVecchio (Pakland), 8. Joyce Michelle (Stoudsburg), 9. Tierra Graham (Twin Valley), 10. Allison Brunton (Owen J. Roberts).
14. Molly Tarvin 20:52, 17. Madeline Consuelos 21:04, 36. Hannah Herzon 21:46, 41. Rachel Mikols 21:59, 68. Brooke Devers 22:53, 84. Elizabeth Fornauf 23:45, 94. Paige Stitzel 24:24.
Northwestern Boys 12th
55. Rueben Kemmerer 20:27, 66. Noah Vincent 20:45, 97. Tyler Derr 21:53, 112. Dominic Demilio 22:18, 129. Christian Parker 22:43, 164. Ben Hoover 24:10, 168. Branden Rice 24:16, 175. Ryan Terrell 24:30, 182. Jared Silva 24:47, 187. Lucas Hill 25:16, 190. Micah Marushak 25:56,
9. Alyssa Mack 22:59, 31. Anika Moralis 30:02.
MIDDLE SCHOOL (2 Miles)
Northwestern Boys (2nd)
5. Matthew Renner 12:17, 6. Joseph Pleban 12:22, 12. Grant Andreus 12:35, 13. Aiden Meyers 12:38, 20. Jason Blaine 13:02, 34. Joseph Bolsover 13:30, 37. Zack Randall 12:35, 39. Josia Allred 13:44, 55. Brandon Smeltz 14:25, 62. Alec Sewald 14:58, 65. Riley Shafer 15:01, 84, Andres Garrido 15:26, 105. Dillon Scott 16:09, 120. Jared Stitzel 16:43.
9. Kristen Brown 13:55, 16. Macy Snyder 14:27, 18. Kailyn Jones 14:34, 24. Alexa Bleam 14:55, 27. Haley Waltman 15:03, 56. Taya Derr 16:21, 60. Hannah McDonnell 16:26, 61. Samantha McGinley 16:28, 65. Natasha Farmer 16:45, 98. Maggie Holman 18:52, 114. Sydney Divers 20:09.